Tuesday, May 15, 2012

adjustments

So I spent some time recently engaged in a few minor experiments of self-promotion on this thing, and having done that and observed the effects I think I'm done with that and going back to "fairly secret" mode.

Quite long ago now when I started the first Songs of Days project it was at the suggestion of another individual, and the primary intent was that some of them would be set to music and played with a band (or at least a friend).  I think my aspirations of being in a band, never robust to begin with, have seen their final, basically peaceful expiration.  I don't have a friend to play with at the moment, and the fact is that I'm just not making music these days.  I sing experimental versions of various songs to myself as I go about my business, I'm in the midst of a collaboration on something that proceeds at a glacial pace, and I am accepting that I'm not actually looking for anything else right now.  I don't know if I'm likely to later, but all predictions are a sucker's game.

In the meantime this writing became something else to me, a thing with a much less clear object.  I work out extremely spare textualizations of various ideas, philosophies, narratives in the pages.  I persist in a goal that has become a self-contained abstraction, at times feeling as if I am subjecting my own conception of goal-ness to some sort of stress test.  The daily posting isn't going away and the daily writing isn't going away.  I thought a couple of people might wonder where intermittent tweets or the "Media Empire" posts on Plus had gone, and this is the answer: They're gone.  The songs are occupying the place they have long found their level at and I'm otherwise moving my attention elsewhere.

No comments: