Tuesday, December 01, 2009

600 : 12/1/99 : Stingy Artist (Flesh and Bones: An Homage 47/101)

I’m a stingy artist
I always take my pay
I never work for free
and I’m working every day
I painted for the king baby
I painted for his girls
I charge as much as I can get
in diamonds gold and pearls
I’ve got a secret habit
my art is just a tool
I’m not saving for a race car
or to build a swimming pool
I’m not charging just to have more
that’s a path fit for a fool
My art pays to feed the poor
and build a road to heaven’s door
my art will build a temple
please observe my fine example
I’m a stingy artist baby
I’ll charge you through the nose
but it’s all for a good cause
but that’s a truth just heaven knows

You can read an explanation of the origin of these lyrics here

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love it. Its beautifully written.

scrivener said...

A Fairly Secret reader, and deep in the wreck no less. Thank you friend.