Sunday, April 11, 2010

732 : 4/11/00 : Obsession

Am I obsessed with the manufacture of verse?
am I under a spell, a voodoo curse?
does it all root back to my childhood days
or a summer long lost in a marijuana haze
I confess obsession with many things
God and watch works and Saturn’s rings
I’ve been recycling rhymes a long time it’s true
but I’m still trying to rhyme my way back to you
Is this obsession have I lost my mind
did I mask it with cigarettes and kind
if the therapy takes will I give it up
this fountain this overflowing cup
I’ve got a jones but that’s not what I mean 
I’ve got to wash till my hands feel clean
I’ve got to write till the words are gone
so hey, today, another song
One day I’ll break through the barrier
the unknown terrifies - the alternative is scarier
to find at last the plenum or the void
someday when my obsession is destroyed

You can read an explanation of the origin of these lyrics here

No comments: