Thursday, March 05, 2009

Combo Breaker

I noted with chagrin this morning that I'd unthinkingly omitted to write a lyric yesterday, breaking my longest chain of continuous on-time songs since I started tracking continuity - 40. This is not a number that is very impressive to me, but it's hard to sustain an uninterrupted chain of attention and intent.

As opposed to the first project - the one you're reading now - there's no way in the new one to determine whether a song was written on its appointed day or later (I still don't permit working ahead, i.e. banking). Aside from a temporary, ongoing tally for the online status updates I don't keep a permanent record of the continuity figures either. Only the songs remain. I can't decide whether I think that's better or not or irrelevant.

The relevance of any aspect of it is of course arguable.

There are two ways songs get missed: yesterday I fully intended to write one in the evening and simply forgot somewhere along the way. Otherwise I skip it willfully. I feel like I do more of the latter since I stopped highlighting late songs. Sometimes I just decide that I want to relax or whatever and elect before the fact to not write one day, but usually it is a snap decision made in the duress of what I feel I need to accomplish as the day approaches its end. I guess a putative third scenario would be one where despite my best intent and attention I am detained beyond reasonable expectation - chained to a stone, perhaps, left for the eagles to pluck out my liver.

You can read an explanation of the origin of these lyrics here

No comments: