Friday, November 27, 2009

596 : 11/27/99 : Beggar’s Life (Flesh and Bones: An Homage 43/101)

I am not cut out for the beggar’s life
always down and out misfortune is my life
I’m attached to food and wealth and mystery
this beggar’s life is too hard for me
I would like to be renowned for what I know
but I do not love knowledge for it’s own sake, so
the beggar’s path is all that is left to trod
I’ll beg my way to heaven, I’ll beg my way to God
I’ll beg my way all the way to Carnegie Hall
I’ll beg my way out when my back’s against the wall
I’m begging right now for grace I have not earned
isn’t it something how the wurm has turned
If I can make it three days on the beggar road
I may have a vision of Master Joad
And he’ll whisper the beggar’s secret in my ear
Softly softly just for me to hear

You can read an explanation of the origin of these lyrics here

No comments: