Monday, February 08, 2010

669 : 2/8/00 : End All War

1,742 : 4 ?


To end all war a war is not required
And should in fact be well avoided
The war to end all wars and all the bastards that he sired
Good sirs the misery that you exploited
To end all suffering that is a goal unreachable
But do not think it frees you of your shame
For all your fine display of virtue unimpeachable
Good sirs I think you realize your blame
And one man standing silent by the road
and one man hanging lifeless on a cross
and I am just another who was showed
The sad depths of our uninterrupted loss
To end all wars will take another thousand years
It wouldn’t surprise me a thousand after that
It seems our lot is death and bitter tears
and so good sirs to you I raise my hat
And so to you good sirs I bid goodnight
And walk my weary pilgrim road alone
I pray you peace and hope that you sleep tight
and leave the rest of us to find it on our own

You can read an explanation of the origin of these lyrics here

No comments: