Tuesday, May 22, 2007

behold, the jewel in the lotus!

So, did you figure out what makes it the "Fibonacci" series? When I wrote it I thought the "trick" was fairly obvious, but I repeatedly observed people looking at it and not perceiving the pattern.

I'll give you a hint: there is a pattern in the lyrics, the specifics of which change from song to song, which is repeated a certain number of times. The number of times it is repeated is the number of the song in the series: so the first song the pattern repeats one time, the second song the pattern repeats twice, and so on. I'll note that while the specifics change, they represent a consistent type of information, and it is in the specifics that the "Fibonacci" part comes in.

I'll make it totally obvious now by connecting the actual numbers of the Fibonacci series to their complement songs:

0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13

My final note on the pattern is that it presented some interesting challenges, primarily in creating verse structures with odd (in both the mathematical and figurative sense) numbers of lines. In the final song, Her Majesty's Fools, I finally broke with the convention of having the structure of the verse defined by the pattern. Ironically, having allowed this simplification (really, I can't remember if any of this was patterns I imposed at the time or simply how I organically dealt with the patterns), I chose a complicated rhyme and verse structure anyway, one that first provided a foretaste of the whole "torment of triple rhymes" experience I was about to go through with the Inferno Series, and second that the verse structure I chose ended up not dividing evenly into the number of verses, requiring the interjection of an additional rhyming line (adding a third rhyme where formerly there would have been only a second), specifically:

Thus these simple addenda
Hear me friend if you might lend a


in the penultimate verse. If I do say so myself it is a nice bit of business. There is a lot more I could say about that song, but I'll spare you. The only other thing I'll note about the series is that it ended up being short because I felt overwhelmed by the requirements imposed by the patterns, particularly of overall length. At the time I hadn't really sussed out the Inferno project. Considering the hell I ended up going through with Dante (hah hah) my lack of perseverence with respect to the good Leonardo of Pisa's work (which predates Dante's, which seems strange to me somehow) seems kind of funny to me now.

The next series is called "The Rosary." It is a relatively straightforward presentation based on the mysteries of the Catholic Rosary.

No comments: