Thursday, May 03, 2007

152 : 9/9/98 Whistlestop (Alphabet 23/26)

The trains don’t stop here anymore
just another whistlestop town
Not enough of us to need a trainfull
of anything they might ship down
From the great iron ranges of
Northern Minnesota
From the forests of the West
through the flatlands of Dakota
Pulls the whistlestop:
They don’t stop here anymore
They just roll on through
Rollin’ through is all a little town’s good for

When I was younger I thought
Some day I’ll jump a car
When the train is passin’ through
Eastbound to where the people are

See all the glitter and the flash
Of a big town on the coast
I thought I’d sail around the world
Thought I’d have no trouble
abandoning my post
But in a little whistlestop town
hitchin’ a ride’s not easy to do
Nothin’ slows down here
Nobody will stop for you.

You can read an explanation of the origin of these lyrics here

No comments: