Tuesday, March 18, 2008

256 : 12/22/98 : Fragmentary Recollection

Armed only with a fragmentary recollection
The lonesome sailor faced a world unkind
His mates had taken a collection
They gave the best that they could find
He remembered a whale and a casket
A cannon a harpoon and the boatswain’s call
He recalled a wicker basket
A spyglass and chronometer: that’s all
Reeling through the battered seaside towns
He was accosted by a strange brigade
A silent minstrel and a duchess on the downs
An apprentice alchemist seeking student aid
He said I am just a sailing hand
I’ve got no answers for your plights
I don’t know just when I last hit land
My mind is overcome with vanishing nights
So he traded in his sailor suit
For a natty three piece job
When I asked him why he just said shoot
Anything to stop the old sea’s sob

You can read an explanation of the origin of these lyrics here

No comments: