Sunday, February 15, 2009

377 : 4/22/99 : Stupid Pills (The Inertia Machine 11/36)

Honey did you forget to take your stupid pills today
no no not at all first thing in the morning JUST AS
THE DOCTOR PRESCRIBED if i were to forget to
take my pills I should be disturbed by the thoughts
again fearful wondering why I do what I do
why the work I am given seems to bear no
relationship to anything that is real or important
to me NO not at all I took them first
thing and a comfortable cloud of numb
indifference settled around my head
like quick dry cement the cement
of THIS MODERN AGE don’t forget
every day you too missus two
pills every morning keeps away
the NEGATIVE thoughts and terrible
feelings of helplessness JUST LIKE
THE DOCTOR PRESCRIBED available
in convenient jumbo dispensers
lest you forget stupid pills
are the universal anodyne
to the crushing weight of
being.

You can read an explanation of the origin of these lyrics here

No comments: