Thursday, February 26, 2009

385 : 4/30/99 : Signs of Spring (The Inertia Machine 19/36)

You’d think I’d had enough of doom and damnation
You’d think that I’d be ready to relax the rules
But on and on I go this unsuccessful delineation
Of a perfect system of government for fools
Think about wouldn’t you think a clever kid like me
Would finally figure out the scales are permanently bent
Sometimes the chips fall against you other times the ride is free
And when you’re on the skids it does no good to ask where your luck went
I find it hard to believe there’s a hidden meaning in the words I sing
I can’t believe I’m any closer than I was before
What mystification it must be a sign of spring
The way my luck went walking out the door
What does it mean it’s nothing a con job
Pay no attention do not ask about it
Just thinking about it makes the vessels in my temples throb
I want to climb the ziggurat and shout it
That the whole wide world is a maze of misperception
And you cannot lay your and on anything
And if you come around and find a cold reception
Well I guess it just must be the signs of spring

You can read an explanation of the origin of these lyrics here

No comments: