Friday, February 27, 2009

386 : 5/1/99 : The Pill (The Inertia Machine 20/36)

Son you’re mentally ill won’t you please take the pill
I don’t know if I will I prefer where I am I prefer
things dark ma’am there’s no room here for glam
there’s no room now for big hair or train
tracks that go there or blue skies and clean air
He’s a star by his looks I’ve seen his kind in books
I know all his best hooks there’s nothing new
even among the best and he’s just like
all the rest his soul is half undressed by madness
on all sides bordered take it son please it’s just what
the doctor ordered I’d rather be drawn and
quartered take it don’t you know it’s for your good
can’t live if I have to wear that hood my eyes
cleared and I saw where I stood my eyes
looked back behind I saw the moon was
on my mind it hung there like a gnawed-at rind
it hangs around the way it will I watch it
clock and chart its fill until it shines a full round pill
with madness steaming in its gears I shut my
eyes and stop my ears I’m scared enough without
the moon’s fears scared enough to stick out my
tongue let them bust me down another rung
Let them blow the cork and pull the bung and
let it all come boiling out watch out it’ll
be a rout that leaves the strongest man with
little clout watch which pills I’m given
you think this is crazy you should see me when I’m
driven I thrive on forgotten and unforgiven
I drive on and go straight through here to
nowhere me to you the pill the poem and what is true

You can read an explanation of the origin of these lyrics here

No comments: