Monday, January 08, 2007

113 : 8/1/98 : Red Ink (Red Ink 3 of 3)

618 ?


This is not an exercise
this time is for real
This red ink is drawn in blood
Pain is all a nerve can feel

This is not an accident
This is by design
Heaven didn’t make this up
this one must be mine

I seem to be swimming in red ink
I seem not to know what I should think
I seem to be made of bad investments

I’ve had better years I’ll warrant
Some times trouble comes in torrents
I seem to be made of bad investments

brother can you spare a cup
of anything to make me feel right
brother can you spare a light
to wield against this endless night.

You can read an explanation of the origin of these lyrics here

1 comment:

scrivener said...

If Blogger (damn you all to hell) ever gets its search to stop sucking, and if persist in getting the whole first project blogged, (888 songs from this one however long that takes - three years I guess from this point), one thing I'm looking forward to is running some song searches on particular words and phrases, one of them being "endless night." I suppose it is unseemly to be so routinely ripping off William Blake.

"Every night and every morn
Some to misery are born,
Every morn and every night
Some are born to sweet delight.

Some are born to sweet delight,
Some are born to endless night."