Wednesday, September 30, 2009

478 : 8/1/99 : Empty Days, Empty Nights

Empty days and empty nights
It takes a lot of juice to maintain the light
I’d rather sit in darkness anyway
I’d rather just give up without a fight
Empty night hard on the heels of empty day
I’d like to build a fire I’m so slowly turning gray
My colors leaching out into apathy and fear
I don’t want to leave here but I sure don’t want to stay
Empty months and empty years
I don’t care to recall just how often I’ve changed gears
I no longer know where I’m at on the differential
I can’t recognize these voices ringing in my ears
The truth’s elusive and the past is influential
Mine’s a story of dreams deferred and wasted potential
And I don’t complain I keep my mouth shut tight
I keep my eyes firm on the ground my voice so deferential
Oh lord send something to fill up this night
I can’t look up to you, your light’s so very bright
Won’t you just come down to me, I’d love to see the sight
Won’t you just reach down and lift me up into the light

You can read an explanation of the origin of these lyrics here

No comments: