Tuesday, January 01, 2008

218 : 11/14/98 : Rasta Billy Skank

976 : 4 ?


There’s an old man a very old man
And he’s forgotten more songs than I’ll ever know
And I always stop to talk to him when I can

He’s down in the bars by the docks where the old ships come and go
Old man old rasta man his hair all cloud gray dread
He said a son I forgotten a lot but there’s one thing I know

He looked at me and this is what he said
There’s a road that goes a long way down there’s a road that goes a long way around
He look an’ he wink at me that old billy goat put ideas in my head

He say lift up your head and listen to the sound
Everytime I pick up my fiddle get that same skin slither skank
I spent so many years on that road, would not go aground

And so many people tell me that sound was money in the bank
But man I never could find a reason to sell
They told me to turn my fiddle for something you play with a crank

And it makes me laugh and say it’s just as well
You ain’t gonna find any answers anyplace you call hell

You can read an explanation of the origin of these lyrics here

No comments: