Monday, January 07, 2008

223 : 11/19/98 : Killed Constantine

982 : 10 ?


I went back in time and killed Constantine
I went back and kept the living image of Aman alive
I taught him to build factories instead of pyramids, what foolishness
I started a strange chain reaction in the human hive

I brought the wise graybeards and crones to Egypt
Gave them a hint or two and let them go
And in the momentary vacuum of power I created
I watched the strange flower of human technology grow

What are we creating why are we creating
Do we want the thing that we are making
What’s it going to look like things are pretty bad now
Do we understand what kind of risks we’re taking

This might not make interesting conversation
But I understand that a society which lacks
a coherent vision and does not value
the worth of its people will soon become a figurine of wax

Another failed nation leaving only
The unwieldy monuments to its profligate decline
Someday barbarians will wonder
At our stupid boring artifacts all covered in kudzu vine

If we sought a common current now
Something different might happen anyways
As it is we’re a bust friend
We all just make it through the day to days

You can read an explanation of the origin of these lyrics here

No comments: