Wednesday, March 20, 2013

WRT: Profanity

The issue of "bad words" is an open one, to my mind, and a complicated one.  One of the problems (and it's far from the only one) with content warnings is that you can't rely on them.  I've decided to note in my public sharing of song postings when one is what I deem profane, and I've also added a tag for this content, but at the end of the day anyone can drill right into the raw content of the song of the day via an errant search.  I've thought about marking the content as adult in Blogger but that forces every visitor to click through a warning screen and I dislike that.

To a large extent my attitude is that, you know, the internet has bad words on it and anyone who wants to use it is just going to have to deal with that.  The other side of this is that I never think it's a bad thing to provide more information about such issues and so that's what I've done.  It will be a very long time (at current rates of progress) before I catch up with all the archives though so the "profane" tag must be considered in no wise comprehensive.

I will say I seem to be becoming less prone to lean on shocking words, why the other day I even changed the title at "It's Rome, Baby!", my museum of a 20 year retrospective sampling of self-generated text, 1986 - 2006.  For years I'd been calling it "This is your brain on Fucking Crazy".

Don't say I didn't warn you.

what

No comments: