Saturday, June 06, 2009

422 : 6/6/99 : The Battle of the Bulge

These are the rag men; jaws slack eyes hollow as hell
(I could not have fought in the Battle of the Bulge)
I can only hear the stories that the old men tell
I can only listen to the horrors the old men divulge
They say two thousand died a day the lucky ones
These then are the hollow men who fought for reasons
Who lived and mostly died from disease or bombs or guns
who knows who refused and yet we call their actions treasons
No one has the right we all usurp to create history
Someone steals the right and forces us to go along
Forces us to see to face the bloody evil mystery
Fills men’s minds with memories that never will be gone
Evil’s always pushing out somewhere in this world
Another bulge that someone must push down
Rearing like the serpent’s head around the whole earth curled
Seems like more evil’s the only way to regain that ground
I wish I had a mighty army of the hollow men
Guess they’re mostly dead but still I wish it so bad
Wish I had an army brought down from heaven
Only they could explain how badly we’ve been had

You can read an explanation of the origin of these lyrics here

No comments: