Saturday, June 27, 2009

436 : 6/20/99 : 1984, 1884

He said it’s just like 1984
I said how exactly do you mean
He said the only thing Orwell got wrong
Was to think they’d have to force us into staring at that screen
He said we’ve lost our sense of history
Well just think back to 1884
We may still read Sappho or Huckleberry Finn
But who remembers With Fire and Sword anymore
Cleveland elected Harry Truman born
There’s always more replacements on the way
No one remembers the first underground train
But we listen to Brahms Opus 90 to this day
What’s the word the rise of Johannesburg
There’s so much history in every thing
Who really knows what was happening then
who could have guessed what the future would bring
I said the only thing I can’t figure
Is how any of it relates to 1984
He said I guess I failed to make my point
just we’re always in the process
of kicking down some door

You can read an explanation of the origin of these lyrics here

No comments: