Saturday, June 13, 2009

427 : 6/11/99 : Bitter

I’ll top my cup with a spoon of sugar
The medicine is strong but the cup is bitter
The choices I made put the cup in my hand
I’ll knock the rest back when I’m feeling fitter
But a voice like the sun said you’re not fooling anyone
You got to drink it now
This is the cup you asked me to fill up
It only gets worse with time somehow
Look at me and look on my face
The bitter seeps into my eyes
I can’t remember sun or rain or how I felt
the first time I slipped my hand up between her thighs
Medicine man just doing what I can
Another graceless metaphor
I tip my head back and brace for attack
Such a long bitter trip from here to the door
He said do you really want to end this son
Cause when the drink is gone I’m gonna call you up
I said I’ll take my bitter with my sweet
with my hands locked tightly round the cup

You can read an explanation of the origin of these lyrics here

No comments: