Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Interim : Battles and Bands 7 : The Lonely Lands

Oh pretty lady, please look out your window
I’m trying hard to make myself seen
I know I must seem indistinct and hazy
but if you listen to the words I sing
You might see me for what I really am
if you and I can just hold out our hands
maybe together we will never have to
spend another night in the lonely lands

Maybe I could see myself in your eyes
as clearly as you see yourself in mine
Do you think that we could get together
Oh pretty lady all I need is a sign
Everybody needs somebody with them
to protect them from time’s spilling sands
Oh when the winds of change are all around you
Doesn’t pay to be in the lonely lands

I see you draw back, and shut your window
You turn away and pull your curtains closed
Ignore this shadow, pale in the moonlight
whispering words that must not be disclosed
We’re all just prisoners locked behind our windows
I’m just a man who can’t say where he stands
Once I was happy, knew where I was going
Still I find myself in the lonely lands

Oh was it your fault, was it really my fault
there is no use in trying to place blame
we are the casualties of another war
man versus woman just another game
I’ll be all right, don’t you worry ‘bout me
Loneliness is a thing I understand
I have a mask that makes me look alive
I wear it when I walk in the lonely lands

You can read an explanation of the origin of these lyrics here

No comments: